Thursday, April 26, 2012

Bad Sooz. No dim sum.

So yesterday was Miss V's early-out day, and she was tired and hungry.

"What would you like for lunch?" I asked, and almost before I finished the words "DIM SUM!" were out of her mouth.  This girl loves dim sum like nothing else and would probably eat it every day if she were allowed, but we haven't gone for dim sum in quite sum time.  So we jumped in the car and swept off to our friendly neighborhood dim sum purveyor.

Yes, they had shu mai.  But Miss V was mainly there for the hum bow.  She practically starts singing and dancing when a container of steamed hum bow comes to the table.  I think she amused the waitresses.

By the way, dim sum is not a good choice for Type 2 diabetics trying to control their blood sugar.  Yes, I probably could have minimized the damage by eating only the filling out of some of the dumplings, avoiding anything breaded, and filling up on relatively safe offerings like Chinese broccoli.  But instead I threw caution to the wind and happily OM NOM NOMed everything in sight.  At least I didn't have mango pudding for dessert.  It was all perfectly delicious and I tried hard not to think about the number of carbohydrates I was consuming.

Later came the reckoning between me and my blood monitor, as it always does eventually.  Here's how it went.

Me: Uh, heh heh, hi.  I've just remembered a pressing engagement elsewhere.
Monitor: Hey!  Get back here!  It's about an hour after eating and you gotta check your blooood!
Me: Jeez.  OK, you little vampire, have it your way.  [click] [slip] [poke]
Monitor (after a few seconds): 168!? YOU ATE DIM SUM, DIDN'T YOU?! DIDN'T YOU?!?
Me: Shut uuuuup, the neighbors are gonna complain!
Monitor: NO, I'M GONNA COMPLAIN!  AFTER ALL YOUR HARD WORK YOU SNEAK OFF AND BLOW YOUR FANTASTIC GLUCOSE NUMBERS ON AN ASIAN FOOD ORGY?!
Me (whimpering): It was good Asian food.
Monitor: I DON'T CARE IF IT WAS FIT FOR CHAIRMAN MAO!  DROP AND GIVE ME 20 POINTS OFF THAT GLUCOSE!  And NO chocolate for YOU today, young lady!

So now I'm in Dutch with my monitor.  Maybe I can improve the situation today by eating virtuously and taking a walk around the neighborhood.  Le sigh.

4 comments:

Jennette said...

That monitor is a kill-joy! Doesn't know what it's missing! I believe that my very first Dim Sum experience was with you and Jules and Jenny the time I came with them to Seattle. Been a fan ever since--thanks!

Soozcat said...

Yay, dim sum! Boo, what it does to my blood sugar! I am glad we could introduce you to the joys of yummy Chinese morsels.

Paula Bowles said...

I love dim sum too! mmmmmm, not many places to get it over here though :(

I'm hoping my dim sum quota will vastly increase on my trip to Portland!

How frustrating for you though, booo!

Soozcat said...

There are several dim sum places in Richmond, BC that are reputed to be world-class. It's a fairly long drive from Portland (about 6 hours, assuming no holdups at the border), but would make a delicious part of a weekend trip. Oh, and there's Granville Island and all sorts of other things to do in Vancouver...

...uh, yeah, guess I'm getting enthused about your trip to Portland. :)